Re: 6 MOT Coil

Original poster: "tesla by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tesla-at-paradise-dot-net.nz>

Hi Allan

Enjoyee you post and have emplathy for the difficulty of taking steps
forward.
Yes no doubt about it MOT's are harder to tame but I think when achieved
cheap high power coil is achieved.

To respond to a couple of questions.
My Ballast (two big 11mH chokes) were scored from 50v old technology
rectifier set as used in the Telecoms industry. These rectifier set are
rapidly being replaced by effiecient switch mode PSU and if you have
contacts in the telephone exchange or Microwave repeater siter industries
you might get lucky.
Having said this from Tims post it does seem possible to achieve really big
sparks w/o ballasting if you have a really grunty supply (230v two phase in
the USA I think is needed)

I suspect the size of your MMC might be a little low to achieve optimum
results with MOTs. I use 88nF and I see Tim is around 120nF or more. I'd
agree with you you coil may be a little small if you start to hit it with
more power like 4 to 6 MOT's delivers.

Good luck and care
Ted L in NZ