Re: Styrofoam top loads

Original poster: "Andy Cobaugh by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <kb3ewy-at-rcn-dot-com>

I'd just like to add my comment on the subject.

I had been thinking of using pink polystyrene insulation board (very cheap
to get at Home Depot) to make a toroid.  it is about 5/8" thick (though it
says 3/4") and the stuff I got was 8' x 2'.  To see how it would shape, I
cut two 6" squares and cut them into perfect circles on the band saw (cuts
like butter).  I then mounted them on my wood lathe.  It cuts very easily,
and I made a new 3.5" x 1.5" toroid for my mini coil.  Make sure you have
enough material to work with, because by the time you have sanded it into
just the right shape it will be much smaller than when you started.  For
glue I just used silicone caulk, which is fine for this small toroid.

Also, does anyone have suggestions for the ideal toroid size for a 4"x20"
coil with a 15/60 tranny?  I should be capable of at least 4.5' arcs (spark
gap is in repair mode right now).  I'm thinking 5"x20".  That would require
about 5 3' wide poly boards.

Cheers,

Andy C.
Internet Homepage: http://users.rcn-dot-com/tcobaugh/