Re: 6 MOT Coil

Original poster: "tesla by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tesla-at-paradise-dot-net.nz>

> Did your SRSG require a change after adding the extra
> MOT's?
>
> allan

Greetings Allan et al

No not really, things had been in a state of change with the coil recently
that I do not have a simple 4MOT vs 6MOT comparison. The SRSG is recently
upgraded to 10.5" electrode spacing. From previous experimental work (of
limited duration) adding the last two MOT's just makes the beast draw more
power and make bigger sparks.

A point I believe I have noted is that the sweet spot for SRSG phase does
not coincide with the lab setting made with a mains peak strobe. I need to
retard the phase in operation quite a way. I do have inductive ballast and
power factor correction components in the primary which may account for
that.

A simple method I use for SRSG phasing (for a 100bps setup) is to stop the
SRSG and use it as a static looking for the minimum variac setting that will
cause it to fire. Then run the SRSG and check that it fires at about the
same variac setting. A quick and dirty check of phasing.

Next will be adding more rotating electrodes. Still agonising on the best
firing points for these. Optimum positions for these has been a most
interesting piece of work.
Best
Ted L in NZ