Sig gen and o-scopes

Original poster: "John Richardson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jprich-at-up-dot-net>

Hi,

I recently watched TCBOR's Tesla Instrumentation video, and a signal generator
and o-scope seem like they would be good additions.  My question is this-how
many of you guys use them to find the resonant frequency of your coils, and
what should one look for in these units?  A quick e-bay search told me that I
could hook up with both for about 80 bucks.  In fact, the older units look a
lot simpler to operate than some of the more recent machines.  Should age scare
me if the units are in good working order?  Also, would I be limited as to the
availability of a high voltage probe for an old tube style scope?  I don't
think that I would need anything fancy to find frequency, but maybe it's not
important enough to warrant the money.

Thanks,

John Richardson