Re: MMC Caps

Original poster: "John Dyer by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <jd-at-dyerelectric-dot-com>

Flaky Design, eh Duck?  Why thank you...
I resemble that remark.  Of course it was Flaky design.  Try no design...

More to come, details and pix to follow.  Three individual caps blown to
date.

Last one is using the coil pictured on the page
http://www.johndyer-dot-com/PortaCoil.html   The trannys are 12kV 30ma
The second one from the primary almost always seems to go.  This was warm to
hot to the touch, and convex on the end after failure.  The end actually
popped open later, revealing carbon!  We popped it off, but no testing
before, just visual.  I suspect it opened, because the resistor across it
started arcing, as the coil stopped.

It runs nicely puts out 12" plus sparks.  I know it could be better, but
have enjoyed getting on the road and sharing it too much to take much time
for better design and refinement.  This is the first failure of this cap
board and coil assembly

I have never done the math.  I confess, I just hack these suckers together,
and pray.

Seriously, I need to get the rest of the details scared up and model this
thing.  I have just guessed and tried and read, and had great luck, and some
skill.  What model program should I use, WinTesla?

Anecdotal observation still stands, that I have had three now failures, all
in ten cap configurations.

So, that's only three, and the rest of the strings are in use and
funtioning.  If ya lose ONE once in awhile as your learning, it's OK as
cheap as a couple are.  So keep a couple extra in stock, and that way you
can experiment and not be down long.  I gotta have ozone every few days
or...

Terry, Chris, thank you for your interest.  I have had no time since Burning
Man to pursue more than scrubbing the desert dust out of them, and making a
few sparks.  I will get more data and start a new thread?  Maybe we could
really design this coil like an engineer?  Novel concept... Do the math...
Maybe read the instructions?

Cheers - I'm John Dyer

www.johndyer-dot-com