Re: More MOT supply questions

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 10/16/02 7:34:44 PM Pacific Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> > I don't have an inductance meter, so
> >A method I have used to measure large L without L meter. Assumes XL  is
> >much bigger than R. Using a 12vac source measure current thru the
> inductor.
> >Solve in XL=2piFL
> >
> >Best
> >Ted L in NZ
>
> Can someone explain this equation? I get XL=Inductance 2pi=2.3.1415, but
> what is FL???
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ken

Ken,

If I remember, you were trying to find the inductance.  By passing an ac
current through it, you can measure the voltage drop across the inductor and
the current going through it.  Now you can calculate the ac resistance or
inductive reactance (XL).  Use this in the above formula to find the inductance
where F = frequency which is 60 hz and L is inductance.

Ed Sonderman