RE: Win tesla

Sphere gap breakdown is not a linear function of distance unless the
distance is very much shorter than the diameter of the sphere (so you
approximate a uniform field)..

In a uniform field gap, breakdown is around 70 kV/inch

In a gap with sharp edges/pointy wires/etc, the breakdown could be a lot
less...

As a rule of thumb, needle gaps breakdown at roughly 1/3 the voltage of a
sphere gap where the gap is <1/4 the sphere diameter (i.e. a 1/4" gap for
1" spheres)  Going off the spheregap tables.. that quarter inch gap breaks
down at around 20 kV (note, actually bigger than 1/4 of 70 kV, such are the
inconsistencies of HV behavior).. I would expect a needle gap 1/4" long (or
sharp edges of copper pipe, or ends of 1/4-20 bolts, etc.) to breakdown at
8-10 kV....

But, the big thing to remember, particularly for lowish or very high
voltages (because in both situations, the gaps designs used have
non-uniform fields), is that spark gaps are not something you can easily
design by rule. Empiricism truly reigns, and the exact breakdown voltage
WILL change with everything you can imagine (temperature of air, temp of
electrodes, humidity, phase of the moon, surface finish, dust on the
surface, incident radiation (UV or ionizing), etc....)

Only in a carefully machined and shaped gap, carefully conditioned,
environmentally controlled,etc. can you get consistent (as in within 5%)
breakdown characteristics.