Re: Non ballasting a pig?

Original poster: "Crow Leader by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tesla-at-lists.symmetric-dot-net>

<Kidd6488-at-aol-dot-com>

> Gregg, All,
>
>        With total respect possible, I think you may need to may need to
study
> some more before you go about building a pig-powered coil. I'm not sure of
your
> electrical / HV experience?
>        Any HV transformer that is not current-limted ( a pig, potential
> transformer, even a MOT) needs to have some sort of ballast. If you plug
one of
> them straight into the sockect, It will draw infinate amps, heat up
wiring, and

Ohms law says otherwise, not to mention most people don't have a
superconducting transformer and wiring in their house, if they did, heating
would not be a problem anyways. It would take an incredible amount of
voltage though decent wiring in a house to cause it to ignite in 1/2 cycle
of AC. Luckily, we have impedance and resistance which makes this even
harder to accomplish.

KEN

> make you prey the circuit breaker kicks.  Plus if someone were to be very
> hap-hazard and not even use a switch (I hope no one would do that) The
plug
> could become welded into the outlet.
>        I don't mean to insult you in any way, we just want everyone to be
safe.
> Pigs, and other HV devices can be extremely dangerous. One touch (not even
> touch, just get within an inch or so) can be enough. Bam. Your dead. Not a
> second chance. No one wants that.
>
> Saftey first (sorry Ted :-\  )
>
> Jonathon Reinhart
> kidd6488-at-aol-dot-com
> hot-streamer-dot-com/jonathon
>

> In a message dated 10/14/02 8:16:54 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
> writes:
>

> > Hello list,
> >   I've been following some posts where ppl are talking about what it
> > takes to ballast a pig and was wondering this...
> >
> > I recently installed a new breaker box(200amp) in my house in which I
> > reserved a 100amp 240v breaker for my shop.  Is it possible that this
> > would be enough to power my 7.5kva pig without ballasts?  If I still
need
> > to, would one 3000w heater element be enough even though it's lossy?
I'm