RE: HElllP!, did I fry my NST?

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-hp-dot-com>

A repair can be attempted on most NST's, if the potting medium is black tar
(actually asphalt) and can be melted.  Usually the depotting alone will
remove the carbon track that caused the failure.  But it is a messy,
smelly, lengthy procedure, and it may be easier to just get another NST,
unless they're scarce or yours was a less common (i.e. 15/60) variety
that's worth the effort.

Before attempting such a repair, make sure that it is in fact the NST
that's at fault.  I assume that your NST is a center-ground configuration.
With nothing else connected to the NST secondary, draw an arc from each
high voltage terminal to the case.  A repairable fault will usually have
one terminal that gives a healthy arc, and one that does not.  If both
terminals do not arc, it's remotely possible that both halves are bad, but
it's unlikely.

Gary Lau
MA, USA