Re: Turn on Surge Re: Non ballasting a pig?

Original poster: "Crow Leader by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <tesla-at-lists.symmetric-dot-net>

> Original poster: "davep by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<davep-at-quik-dot-com>

> > Why would it appear as a short unless you short the
>
> > output windings?
>
> Because that is the way transfromers act/work.
>
> That 'secondary (output/load) impedance is reflected
>
> back to input is PART of the story.  For 'normal'
> (say under 100W) transformers the effects, and
> currents surges, are small enough not to be noticed.
> Above that, turn on surges start becoming noticable,
> have been discussed here, at length.
> Short version:
> There Will Be a turn on surge, roughly 10x normal
> full load current.  This will peak at the first cycle,
> and drop off afterwards.  This is independent of
> secondary/output load.  The EXACT magnitude depends
> on detail transformer design and exactly when, in
> the line cycle, the switch is closed.

I can switch on my 10kVA transformer as quickly as I want at any part of the
60Hz cycle with a 30A household breaker with no ballasting and input at
240volts. A 20 amp breaker was too small and would trip though.

KEN