Re: Non ballasting a pig?

Hi Gregg,

You "must" ballast the pig regardless. Connecting the pig without a ballast
will appear
as a short circuit. These transformers will pull many times their rated
amps in short
circuit conditions. Take the recipricol of your percent impedance value and
mulitply by
your rated amps. This will give you some idea of what the pig would try to
draw. Your
breaker would pop immediately.

My pig is 1.9% imp 10kva/14.4kv.   So 1/1.9 = 52.6 x 41.67A = 2192A = gotta
use a
ballast to limit current.

Take care,
Bart