Re: Are these maxwell caps OK?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tesla list" <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
To: <tesla-at-pupman-dot-com>
Sent: Monday, October 14, 2002 6:52 AM
Subject: Re: Are these maxwell caps OK?

> Original poster: "Jeremy Scott by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<supertux1-at-yahoo-dot-com>

> Hi,
>
> I plan on using 3 of these to power my coil. :)
>
> I've got a 15KV/60mA NST.
> At AC sine-wave peak, it'll kick out 21KV so,
> breifly, before reversing current.
>
> My series of 3 Maxwell's will have a 'package' rating
> of 105KV (35kV * 3), so common sense would tell you
> that I'm safe right? Not quite....
>
> I examine the specs further, and their reversal rating
> is only %15! That means my series is really only 'safe
> rated' to 15.75kV when working with AC. Anything
> beyond that is pushing it. And we do push.

Not quite... there's an RMS current rating, a peak current rating, and the
VR rating.  The VR rating attempts to capsulize what is essentially a
mechanical effect.  You can scale VR ratings, and then you just need the
breaks per second.

> My guess is Maxwell is telling us:
>
> "AC peak to peak voltage rating = 50%, True RMS = %15"

Not at all....  These are designed for a damped sinusoid waveform...