Re: Corona breakout voltages?

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Terry and all,

Antonio's and Jim's previous posts explain the reasons for the lack of
corona on high voltage transmission lines. As Jim indicated, utilities
often use "bundles" of spaced conductors for each phase to increase the
"effective" diameter of the conductor for higher voltage lines. These
can range from 2 (most common) to 8 (for EHV transmission lines). But
even more importantly, as Antonio indicated, the surface E-field for a
HV wire over a conducting plane is much lower than one would think just
looking at conductor diameter, so that it's operating voltage can be
much higher before corona begins.

The combination of these two effects significantly decreases the maximum
E-field seen at the HV conductor's surface... to the point where it's
brought below the corona inception voltage! High voltage and EHV AC
transmission lines are typically designed so that the maximum surface
voltage gradient typically falls in the range of 13 - 18 kV/cm RMS (or
about 18-25 kV/cm peak).

For those wanting to do a bit more research on AC corona and HV power
transmission, some excellent sources include:
1. Electric Power Research Institute (EPRI), “Transmission Line
Reference Book 345 KV & Above”, 2nd ed, Revised, EPRI., 1987, 625pp

2. Begamudre, R. D., “Extra High Voltage AC Transmission Engineering”,
2nd ed., New Age Int’l Publ., 1997, 580pp

Best regards,

-- Bert --
--
Bert Hickman