Re: Halloween Coiling and the FCC

Original poster: "Paul Nicholson by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <paul-at-abelian.demon.co.uk>

Laurence Davis wrote:

> I've walked around my neighborhood with a longwave
> radio that tunes to the frequency of my coil, which
> is around 220khz.

> ...I have about a 3 block radius of perceptable noise

That's a nice test.  Can you tell us how closely confined
the noise was to one or a couple of frequencies on the
receiver.  In other words could you pick up the coil over
a wide tuning range, or did you have to tune around to find
it?   If the latter, did it appear in one, two, or three
separate places on the dial?  Was your coil breaking out
at the time?

3 blocks is a good way, considering the coil is well
shielded by virtue of being down in the basement and
partially caged.  Is it more or less the same in all
directions, I wonder?  If it's 3 blocks in only one
or two directions it may be flowing down the mains or
something.

When you're out with the radio, (and assuming it uses
a ferrite rod antenna), you should find as you rotate
the radio that in one particular alignment the signal
vanishes almost completely.   In this alignment, is
the antenna axis pointing towards your coil, or towards
somewhere else?  If it's not pointing towards the coil,
that indicates that the RF is flowing along some
guiding structure that passes your house, which is helping
it to travel.  If, on the other hand, wherever you are,
the 'null' of the signal occurs when you point at your
house, then your coil and basement itself is the 'point'
source.

Some food for thought there.
--
Paul Nicholson