From: Tesla list [mailto:tesla-at-pupman-dot-com]
Sent: Sunday, October 13, 2002 2:25 PM
To: tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
Subject: Re: solder vs crimp Re: MOT supply construction question

Original poster: "davep by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<davep-at-quik-dot-com>

> I have seen this debate  before, but it seems as if the

> discussion centers on solder VS crimping.  What are the

> drawbacks of crimping AND soldering?

	Excess time and effort spent.
	Not a big deal if its personal time only.

	Also, its useful to understand that 'well made'
	crimp is quite good, by itself, arguably better than
	may solder joints.  (tho, as noted, a 'properly made'
	crimp is a lot easier in a production environment.

> I have seen solder only connections "eject" the wire,

	There should, probably, never be 'solder only'
	connections:  MUST be twisted (screwed, whatever)
	first to provide structural strength.
	And, how GOOD were the solder joints?  (I learnt to
	make solder joints at a young age & have seen
	some remarkably bad ones since....)

> I have seen many crimp connectors "lose" the wire,

	If well made, they won't.  Most people haven't the
	tooling to make them well.

> but I have never seen a crimp and solder joint fail for any

> reason other than extreme mechanical damage or heat, which
> would have ruined things regardless of the nature of their

>connection.

> Anyway, is there a failure mode that occurs only (or more often)

> when soldered and crimped?
	Thermal damage to insulation.

	corrosion from wrong flux.

	(those are generic to soldering....)