RE: Variacs and current draw

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-hp-dot-com>

The current draw is largely dependant upon the size of the tank cap and gap
characteristics, although the exact relationships are unclear.  I use a 15
Amp Variac.  With my unmodified 15/60 NST, a .02uF cap and static gap, I
routinely pull 20 Amps from the wall, and that's WITH 240uF of PFC caps.  I
tried briefly using a .03uF cap with a sync RSG and the 20A breaker tripped
in just a few seconds, so I'm sure that was pulling well in excess of 25 Amps.

If you have a small cap you may squeak by with a 5 Amp variac, but I'd be
shopping around for at least a 10 Amp unit.

Gary Lau
MA, USA

>Original poster: "Matt Morrissette by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <yinzara-at-MIT.EDU>