Re: matching secondary size to power supply

Justin,

The choice is not super-critical, but there are rules of thumb.

For example if you build an efficient coil which follows
spark length (inches) = 1.7*sqrt (input watts), then you'll
want the secondary to be at least 24" tall for a 60" spark
at 120 bps.  If the coil is shorter, it will most likely break
down voltage-wise.  This would limit the input power to about
1300 watts at 120 bps.  At a higher bps, the bang size will
be smaller, so the spark length can be longer and the input
power can be higher, for the same input wattage.  If the
coil is not efficient however, then much more power can
be used, since the spark length is more of a limiting factor
for shortening the secondary coil, (but always taking BPS
into account).

As further examples, I use a 19" tall secondary with 800 watts
input for a 42" spark length.  Richard Hull used a 48" (?) tall
secondary for his nemesis coil which gave 15 foot sparks
at 11kW, at a higher break rate.

If you're refering to secondary diameter, This can range
from a 1:3 ratio for diameter to height, to a 1:6 ratio or so.

Figure the wire size so you get 1000 to 1500 turns.

John