Re: DSL-Diode Spark Gap Logic

Original poster: "Bert Hickman by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <bert.hickman-at-aquila-dot-net>

Hi Barry,

Interesting experiment! That Spellman primary must have quite a few
turns, since it clocks in at over 1 mH. And, assuming the gap is
repetitively firing at 2500 Volts, the bang size is only a little over
0.03 Joules and the peak primary current is only about 8 amps. This is
probably why both the gap and diode aren't being stressed very much.

Assuming the diode chain conducts half of the time, the peak voltage
drop in the diode chain's forward direction will likely be in the range
of 8-12 volts, while the spark gap's conduction voltage (assuming fill
gas is air) would be in the range of 150-200 volts (or about 10 times
lossier). Given that the heating of the diode chain is shared across 8
diodes, the relative temperature rise of a given diode versus the spark
gap (due to I*E losses) sound about right. And, in theory, the overall
"lossiness" of the gap should be less with the diodes connected across
it versus alone.

Did you notice any performance improvement with the diode chain
connected versus without?

Also, what kind of performance did you see either way (i.e., spark
length)?

Thanks, and best regards,

-- Bert --
--