Re: The Tabletop Tesla Coil Showdown - OFFICIAL RULES and WEBSITE

In a message dated 10/3/02 9:14:15 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Tesla list wrote:
> <snip>
> > > I really don't know how you can be sure from a distance that everyone
> > > is playing fair as far as input power levels are concerned. At the
> > > Teslathon it can be closely monitored.
> > >
> > > Ed Wingate RATCB
> >
> > Ed,
> >
> > If someone comes up with a claim of superior performance,
> > then others can try to replicate it based on the details of the design.
> > If no one can replicate the results, then they should be considered
> > suspect.
> >
> > John
>
> John,
>
> You mean a duplicate coil/coils will have to built to see if someone
> is cheating? Wouldn't the input power level still be an issue that
> can't be verified reliably and makes construction of a duplicate coil
> irrelevant?
>
> Ed

Ed,

A duplicate coil doesn't *have* to be built, but if someone
really doesn't believe someone's results, they could always
build a duplicate and try it themselves to satisfy themself.
It would be a personal decision if they felt the need to
do this.  It's true this wouldn't verify the results to the group
(although it would provide further evidence)
but it would probably satisfy the person who built the
duplicate, if they indeed obtain the claimed superior
results.

Others may actually want to build duplicates anyway,
to obtain and enjoy for themselves the superior
performance of the winning coil design.

Regarding the input power, I thought the goal was
simply to use the same kind of transformer and to
provide it with the same input voltage, and let the
power input fall where it may, provided the other....
hmmm.  This could get tricky.  I guess for real science,
the input VA should be monitored with accurate
equipment.  A lot depends on the stated rules for
the contest, etc.  As a last resort, the winning coil
could be shipped to other folks for independent testing,
ho ho ho   :)

There could be a whole host of contests, such that
surely one would satify the whims of a particular
combatant... I mean contestant.

John