Re: Noisy Gaps x2 RE: Halloween Coiling and the FCC

Original poster: "Paul Benham by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <paulb-at-woodanddouglas.co.uk>

I have been looking at the interference caused by the gap - static in my
case.  It consists of 1/4 inch tungsten mounted in aluminium blocks.  There
are 3 gaps in series.  Power input is around 200W for the tests that I have
been carrying out.

I have found that fitting chokes, resistors and ferrite clamps in the PSU
leads close to the spark gap helps greatly in reducing down radiated
emissions at low frequencies, say up to 30MHz,  but actually makes the
radiation up at UHF in the TV band here in the UK worse(470-860MHz).  I then
fitted the spark gap in a biscuit tin with a fan and ventilation grills and
it has made a very big improvement in interference in the UHF band.  I am
still working on it so the design is not finalised.  At the moment the
interference on the TV is hardly noticeable when running within 20 feet of
the TV indoors.

Of course solving interference from the gap on its own is one thing, solving
it when you then connect the primary and MMC capacitors that are outside the
biscuit tin is quite another!  It may be that I have been wasting my time
with the tin enclosure, but it has been interesting.

Cheers,

Paul Benham.