Re: Faraday cages

Tesla list wrote:

> Hi Duncan,
> Here are some things you might check.
> Be sure the RF ground is good and solid.
> Use AC line filters to keep stuff from getting back

> into the AC wiring where it can really get transmitted far.

> Ferrite beads (big ones) (like they use now on computer

> cables and such (clip on)) on each side of the primary wiring

> to the spark gap can really cut down on higher frequency noise.

> If you know who was having the problem and you can befriend

>them, they can help you "test" things out too.
	...or test on your own TV set.

> I have thought of cages too but some people say they won't help

>much.

	If done right, they are absolute cures.
	Doing them right can be non trivial.
	(I shan't repeat what I posted earlier, unless
	asked...)
	(We once debugged one down to the level where the
	500W Ham repeater, 500ft away, would not penetrate.)

	Hint:
	For debugging, no need for a coil.  Move a TV set
	inside and keep fiddling until it can't receive.

> I don't know enough about radio

	I do.  Have done EMI/RFI and shield room debugging.

> to say for sure but apparently they have to be made
> "just right" to work well.

	Bond the edges of all panels, bond the door, filter
	the lines in and out.

>  Perhaps our radio friends know more here ;-)
	cf above...

	(Lesser efforts MAY work:
	tackle it progressively, adding stuff, and it
	WILL work.)

--
	best
	dwp