Re: Definitions of High Voltage

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <CTCDW-at-aol-dot-com>

This "spark on disconnect" can be seen at almost any voltage. In my industry,
we use 12VDC solenoids constantly. the collapsing magnetic field which occurs
upon removing power generates a "back pulse" if you will. This is why you see a
spark when unplugging something (it's really noticeable on large inductive
loads). We use diodes to supress the spark. I don't know how feasible this is
on HV loads though.
Chris W