Re: The Tabletop Tesla Coil Showdown - OFFICIAL RULES and WEBSITE

Original poster: "Edward Wingate by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ewing7-at-rochester.rr-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Gregory Peters by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <s371034-at-student.uq.edu.au>

> Why don't you let people use their imagination? If people get better
> sparks using rectified/voltage multipliers or magnifier systems, this
> will indicate that these methods are better, not only for TTTCs, but
> possibly for the rest of us with bigger coils. Why not simply set the
> voltage/current requirements of the initial power supply and see what
> people can do. This whole idea is getting silly. Why not let people
> try using a small tank cap with high BPS or a large tank cap with low
> BPS, and so on. Otherwise it comes down purely to losses in the
> primary/secondary circuits which those of us with more money are able
> to minimise because they can afford low loss coilforms etc. I want to
> see people's ingenuity win this competition. Let's just see who can
> do what with a 4kV, 20mA transformer, using their crazy ideas.
>
> My two cents,
>
> Greg.

Greg, All,

Ditto!

If it's going to be a competition to see who can get the most bang
with a given input power, then limit the input power ONLY and leave
the rest to the imagination of the builder. Isn't that what
competition is all about? If you put rules and restrictions on the
system design, innovation and ingenuity are stifled and the end result
is a moot point. You may as well hand out blueprints and a materials
list and everyone can build the exact same coil! Pretty boring!

I can't wait to see what happens if the only rule is an input power
limit and everything else is fair game. There are some pretty crafty
people out there and I would prefer to let the creative juices flow
and see what materializes!

With a 4KV, 20ma power limit the cost of materials isn't really a
limiting factor as it is in large systems either.

Another $.02,

Ed Wingate RATCB