Re: tesla coil grounding

Original poster: "george hadle by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <ckreol1-at-yahoo-dot-com>

malcolm, thanks.  It's not in cw mode, but damped,
which is why I expected to see some decaying waveform
at least slightly varied from the normal rlc decay.  I
added a ground today  (how do you measure the ohms of
a ground?)  copper pipe, wet ground, 3 feet.
Yeah, direct scope connection halved res. freq of
secondary.
helical primary 8 inch diameter
secondary 2 feet tall 4 inch diameter
scope lead picks up radiation.
Its a square wave.  Perhaps my circuit is wrong.  cap
and primary in parallel.  mosfet nearest the the dc
power source.  It pulses the lc circuit.
Also a note about self capacitance of a coil.  It
decreases the horizontal (time) length of the ringdown
waveform.  This can be seen by bringing you hand near
your coil and watching it on scope.  Hand=capacitance
Thanks for helping out a new to tesla coil-er.