Re: Dead MMC. was: AAAA! My coil...

Hi Chris,

 From your description, it sounds like the cap was arcing internally and
overvolting the resistors. Once the last resistor was removed, the cap
itself went into a runaway condition and failed from the same internal
arcing and all the fun dynamics that goes along with that. My guess is the
cap was originally damaged due to being overvolted by the transformer. The
NST at 9kV(rms) has a Vp of 12.7 kV. The cap bank was rated at 12kVp, so
you were definitely on the edge or slightly over.

The rms current looks good and is the area where you will see reliability
ratings (it is also the typical area of concern), but the cap voltage must
also be considered. Maybe more emphasis on derating the cap should be
rolled into cap reliability. Often it's not and just assumed the user
should know this. Derating at 2.5 x Vp is a good rule of thumb.

Take care,
Bart