Re: DC? was: mechanical bridge rectifier

>Good evening folks
>Recently I asked about rectifying AC on the low side of the mains
>transformer in a TC.

>The answers from the list were a resounding NO it can't be done.

>So then if DC is bad for transformer action

         Its bad for transformer action on transformer's
         designed for AC.

>why is it ok for HV TC work?

         DC is not used.
         DC INTERRUPTED BY A SPARK GAP (or other means) is
         used.  It is thus (quasi) AC.

>The TC (pri ­ sec) is just a transformer

         Its a special sort of transformer.  There are many.
         And it sees AC rather than DC, AC (or, rather,
         interrupted DC) provided by the spark gap.

>Why is DC bad for one kind of transformer and not for another?
         cf above.

         best
         dwp

...the net of a million lies...