Re: First light at 4500VA

Original poster: "David Speck by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-davidspeckmd-dot-org>

Winston:

I doubt that you would see any difference in performance with identical
RSGs which differ only in steel vs. tungsten electrodes.  The advantage of
tungsten electrodes is that they would last longer with less degradation
and oxidation damage than equivalent steel ones.

Threading tungsten rods would be nearly impossible with ordinary tools,
because of the extreme hardness of the material.  All the RSGs I've seen
that use tungsten electrodes have them installed in a way that does not
require any machining of them, usually be clamping them directly in the
G-10 of the rotor wheel with set screws.

If your RSG electrodes are getting that hot, you need to install some form
of heat sinking on them.  Even tungsten will oxidize if you get it hot
enough for long enough.  It sounds like you would have to generally scale
them up to handle the power as well.

HTH,
Dave