Re: HV Meter

Original poster: "Matthew Smith by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <matt-at-kbc-dot-net.au>

Hi Dan/All

>Neither.  I believe half-rectified with large filter capacitor will read :
>Vout = Vpeak / 3.14
Is that Pi to 2dp or another 3.14 constant?

>Basically you need to take the absolute value of the signal, square that
>signal, and simulatenously integrate that signal over one period.
Ay Caramba!  No wonder true RMS instruments are so pricey - wouldn't fancy
doing that myself ;-)

>Of course, you could always use just a single diode and capacitor and make
>a peak detector.  The output voltage of this type of circuit would be the
>peak voltage - forward diode voltage drop (plus any ripple on there)
Aha!  Nice and simple and also the figure that I'm really interested in.

Anyone out there know Vf of the SK HV1X diode off the top of their head?
(It's the one that seems to haunt 85% of the microwave ovens I've taken apart.)

Thanks for your help, Dan.

Cheers

--
Matthew Smith            | Business: http://www.kbc-dot-net.au