Re: 1600 turns

In a message dated 5/30/02 1:22:44 AM Eastern Daylight Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

Godfrey,

In one test, I replaced my 1600 turn secondary with an 850 turn
secondary and lost 10% spark length.  Richie Burnett replaced
his 1000 turn secondary with a 1600 turn secondary and gained
about 10% spark length.  Such a design may be reducing the
spark gap losses and perhaps has other benefits.  It is likely
that you may begin to see racing sparks when your spark
length reaches about 65" or so, if you run at 120 bps.  If
you run at a higher break rate, then longer sparks can be
obtained from your secondary form, because the bang size
will be smaller.  In an efficient coil, you may be using 1500
watts or so, in an inefficient coil, you may be using 2500
watts or so.  You can use any higher kVA for the transformer
if you want, as long as you ballast it down to the proper degree.

Cheers,
John