SRSG gap spacing?

Original poster: "Dave Leddon by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <leddon-at-attbi-dot-com>

What is the rational behind maintaining a narrow gap spacing on a SRSG?
I've seen this recommendation so often in this list that it begins to take
on the dimension of dogma.  On my coil, as the electrodes wear down and the
gap spacing approaches 1/8 inch, the performance actually seems to improve.
 In theory a wider gap should reduce the arc dwell time.  So what are the
advantages?

Dave