Re: [Fwd: [Fwd: Re: Variable Capacitance and Inductance]]

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "David Thomson by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <dave-at-volantis-dot-org>

> Hi Matt,

>>>Your unqualified criticism of Tesla is much like
>>>Richard Hull's, it is based merely on personal opinion.

>>Likewise worship of his infallibility is based "merely on personal
>> opinion". CSN is an excellent early work on electrical theory and
>> measurement.

> I'm pointing out the data provided by Tesla in CSN and sharing an

> article about Tesla's work.  There is no worshipping here.  If you

> disagree with his data, explain why.

	We all (mostly) have.
	I suggest that gathering up and reposting standard
	engineering facts/knowledge, available in any text,
	demonstrated correct by use in all fields of electrical
	and electronic engineering is necessary.  That's why those
	books are writ: to make info available.

> The responses I have seen, in Richard Hull's book and several

> people on this list (Terry is the only person to provide data

> in his reply,) has been opinions about Tesla's work.

	Opinions, perhaps, but based on the knowledge that
	100 years of work has been done in this area.
	100 years of work is hard to fit into this list,
	and, i suggest, pointless to repost.

> I'm really beginning to wonder why this is called a "Tesla List."

	The reason is stated in the list documents, FAQs,
	etc.

> It seems every time Tesla's name comes up everybody has to doubt

> his work.

	Not that I have noticed.  Check the archives.

> Did Tesla do anything right?

	A great many things, in my opinion.

>>However, IMO, much of the current debate is sounding more like

>>scholastic nit-picking over fly specks on the "Holy Scrolls"

>>than progress on understanding the phenomena of Tesla Coils.

	I suggest that getting the magnitude, direction
	and cause(s) of a reported change wrong is a bit more
	than a flyspeck.

> You're right.  If people weren't nitpicking and claiming we

> should measure the environmental factors affecting capacitance

> and inductance without the environmental factors being there,

> we might learn something.

	I suggest (and have suggested, thruout) that measurement
	is good.  better, in fact, than simply rereading
	old measurements.

> What's so wrong about admitting that a Tesla secondary coil's

> inductance has minute variations in inductance over time?

	To understand the causes (if any).
	To put numbers to the magnitude, and direction of the
	change.

> Does that imply the entire knowledge base of physics will fall

> apart or something?

	Accuracy is important.

> Somebody was just asking on this list what the practical uses

> of a Tesla coil would be.  If instead of nitpicking Tesla's article

> we looked at the science behind it,

	We have.
	People have looked for 100 years.
	Some of that has apparently changed what Tesla (thought)
	he saw.

> we would find a use for a Tesla coil.  If the coil responds to

> environmental conditions, then it can be designed to hone in on
> a particular condition.

	Or to be more predictable, to not be 'bothered'
	by environmental changes.  (real world, practical

	equipment must be (more or less) immune to such.)
> Terry is convinced that humidity is one of the strongest factors

> affecting the inductance of a coil.  Why not try to perfect a

> hygrometer using a Tesla secondary?

	There are eminently suitable, very cheap hygrometers.

> If a Tesla secondary reacts to humidity, is it possible to build
> a Tesla coil that would cause the humidity to precipitate out of

> the air?

	Why would this be desirable?
	(no other hygrometer does so...)

> Tesla described such an event during one of his experiments in

> Colorado Springs.  What's wrong with the folks on this list?

	Nothing, that I can see.

> You say you want to understand the phenomena of Tesla coils and

> then you shoot everything down

	I've never seen that happen.

> without even trying to obtain some data first.

	Data exist outside this list.
	Many data that apply to Tesla studies exist outside
	this list.  I suggest that using that
	data may be as useful as ignoring it.

	best
	dwp