Re: MMC dissipation factor measurement

Could one measure dissipation with a calorimeter?

That is, put a known RF power through the cap, which would be immersed in a
well stirred oil bath in a vacuum bottle (thermos) (or even a suitable
styrofoam container might work).  You'd measure, accurately, the
temperature over time.

Say you could put 100W through the cap.  If the dissipation factor were,
say, 1E-4, that would result in 10 mW being dissipated in the cap.  Run it
for 1000 seconds (about 20 min), and you've put 10 joules into the system.
Say the whole thing (oil and all) had a mass of 50 g.. insulating oil at
60C is about 2.09 J/gK.. So, you'd expect a temperature rise of around 0.1
degree...

If you put it in some low boiling liquid (LN2?) you might be able to
measure the volume of gas boiled off, and use the heat of vaporization.

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Malcolm Watts by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <m.j.watts-at-massey.ac.nz>