Re: Pulse Transformer

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "davep by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<davep-at-quik-dot-com>

> > Just reading all the things said in this series of posts makes me
> > wonder whether anyone, apart from myself, has trouble agreeing with a
> > lot of the concepts expressed here? ?
>
> > For example, since when has a TC been a wideband transformer?

	A Tesla coil by definition is a RESONANT device, and therefore
inherently has limited bandwidth.  Depending on the coupling factor,
during the time when the gap is conducting both the primary and
secondary waveforms are comprised of two different frequencies which,
for tight coupling, may be quite far apart.  However, as soon as the gap
opens (quenches) the current in the primary ceases and the secondary
voltage is a single-frequency damped sinusoid.  As far as I can guess
from looking at the secondary waveform, the bandwidth of the ouput of
the small coils I have built is of the order of 5%.  Clearly the amount
of streamer loading will determine the bandwidth as the loaded Q of an
efficient coil will be much less than the unloaded Q.

Ed

Ed