Re: Current in the Coil - was oil dielectric

>>Agreed about the heating caused by current, but the current

>>flowing in the wires of an air-cored transformer can easily

>>be in the tens of Amperes range. Depends how much energy you

>>feed in doesn't it? There must be few Tesla Coils out there

>>with a milliamp or less flowing in their windings at
>> some point or another.

> The transformer I'm using is a 15KV NST at 30mA short circuit.

> The transformer is rated for 250 watts.  If I'm getting the

> full 15KV and the power output does not exceed 250 watts, then

> the average operating current can only be 16.7mA.

	Usually, Tesla Systems are in, or near resonance.
	When resonant, Currents many times the input can (and do)
	flow.  Also, even when average currents are small, PEAK
	currents can be quite large.  Losses in these peak currents
	affect coil performance.

> If the primary has only 16.7mA, then with the 50 feet primary

> and 2000 feet secondary I should have a rough 1:40 step up ratio.
> At 600KV the secondary will have an average current of about .4mA.

	At some point, and at some times.
	cf above on resonance (that's why its called a TANK circuit:
	It Stores energy.)

	Also, to some extent, as there is a voltage peak at
	the TOP, there is a CURRENT peak at the bottom.

	cf the archives for discussion of this.

> In my opinion, every serious coiler needs to build at least

> one oil jacketed coil.  They're not that difficult and the

> rewards are better sparks.

	Have identical coils been compared, with and without the
	oil?
	Is the coil inside, outside or both?
	(I thought the original description was of oil INSIDE
	the secondary only??)

	best
	dwp