Re: Grim Safety Reminder

Original poster: "Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <acmq-at-compuland-dot-com.br>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

> I have read of several of these accidents and investigated a couple of these
> electrocutions. The long spark is created under special conditions that are
> not well understood. People can be several meters from the power lines and
> still get zapped. If you operate a Tesla coil outdoors keep in mind that a
> 12 KV distribution line can kill you from further away than you may think.

I once worked for a power company, and made a training in an
hydroelectric
plant that was connected to the national grid (Brazil) through 500 kV AC
lines. A story that the operators liked to tell was of the employee that
was showing the substation to visitors. His last words were "And there
are the 500 kV power lines", while pointing the lines with a pencil...
(I don't have further details, probably grim, to add (if the story is
true).)

Antonio Carlos M. de Queiroz