Re: Oil caps

Original poster: "rob by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <rob-at-pythonemproject-dot-com>

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "Jim Lux by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<jimlux-at-earthlink-dot-net>

> Castor oil has a fairly high epsilon (Er) compared to mineral oil.  The
> breakdown voltage, though, is the same as most other oils.  Check
> http://home.earthlink-dot-net/~jimlux/hv/insulliq.htm where I have a tabulation
> of some common liquids.
>
> How far are the plates spaced on your variable caps?

Hi Jim,  these are surplus military receiving type caps.  They may have
as much as 4000pf.  In the original equipment, there were four of them
driven together with a gear.  I use one for a giant 160M rod antenna
that I have.  I think the rest are gathering dust.  Rob.

--
The Numeric Python EM Project

www.pythonemproject-dot-com