RE: Cap Question

Original poster: "Lau, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Gary.Lau-at-compaq-dot-com>

One source for MMC caps that seems to be overlooked is Alltronics,
www.alltronics-dot-com .  Their catalog lists Wima FKP-1 (VERY suitable for
MMC's) polypropylene caps, .047uF/1250V for $0.75 each.  You won't find a
better cap or a better price.

While I have had good luck with FKP-1 caps, I have no personal experience
with doorknob caps.  Being ceramic, they will be very temperature sensitive
and will change value and go out of tune if they get warm.

For the big oil caps you see on ebay, what is the uF rating?  Is it
anywhere near the .005 to .03 uF that most of our coils use?  Is the
dielectric polypropylene?  Didn't think so.

Gary Lau
MA, USA

Original poster: "Soul Firez by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
<soul_firez-at-hotmail-dot-com>

Hey,
Im looking for capps on ebay and i keep seeing doornob caps and big oil caps
(the ones in the big cans with the terminals on top) and i was wonderring if
these would be appropriat for coil use?

Thanks
Brad

P.S. if anyone knows where i can get caps for a mmc for really cheap please let
me know