RE: Just starting out

Original poster: "Vanderputten, Gary by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <gvp-at-pvaintl-dot-com>

What make's a good coiler?

Degree in EEE? - nope?

I believe you need the following:

1. Passionate fascination -  Interest bordering on obsession.
2. Dexterity - being handy is a must as you'd be hard pressed to contract
this stuff out. Primary coils are an interesting challenge.
3. Prudence - this hobby can kill, although I believe only one professional
collier has met his demise this way. Follow any and all safety advice you
can find.
4. Resourcefulness - the ability to hunt down parts at dumps, ebay,
electronic parts houses - the great scavenger hunt.
5. Commitment to process - most coilers do not just rush to get over the
finish line; you must look forward to each step in the build process and
savor all the hours spent on each component. I spent three months building a
gorgeous plexiglass 1000 watter based entirely upon the collective advice of
this list. It worked the first time - While I remember that moment the most,
each step of the build was just as rewarding.
6. Patience with these threads - there is so much valuable data and opinion
in the list. It must be mined carefully. Just read all the articles on NST
and RF protection - there is no finite answer, only persuasive arguments.
7. Humility - do not hesitate to ask the dumb question; there are no dumb
questions here.
8. Money - this can be an expensive hobby if you want it to be, say, if you
want to get one of those really neat professional caps, but resourcefulness
and sweat equity will get you by. Keep in mind that the result of your
efforts will have little material value beyond that of  garage sculpture.
With rare exception, coils are a poor investment vehicle, nor do they
qualify for IRA disbursements.
9. Appreciation for the aesthetics - Check out all the web photos of
coiler's work - great geek sculpture.

Enjoy

Gary