Re: 5HP rotory elect. phase control

Original poster: "Dave Lewis by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <hvdave-at-earthlink-dot-net>

Steve,

Since the motor runs at constant RPM, a very simple model could be
used.   An inductor in series with a resistor would do the trick.   The
RL values can be obtained by measuring the amplitude and phase angle of
the motor current with respect to the voltage.   I think this a
measurement is necessary since there are so many factors to consider
that it just easier to measure it.

Once you have the current amplitude and phase angle you can calculate
the RL model parameters.

                    V * tan(a)
      L = ---------------------------------------
           2 * Pi * f * I * sqrt( 1 + tan(a)^2 )

           2 * Pi * f * L
      R = ----------------
               tan(a)

Where:
L in Henerys
V in Volts rms
a is phase angle 0 to 90 deg or 0 to Pi/2 radians, take your pick
Pi is 3.142
f is 60 Hz
I is current amplitude measured in Amp rms
R in Ohms

For a 120V, 60Hz, and 1 Arms current lagging at 30deg I got L=0.159 and
R=104.

Other models are plausible and just as valid since the frequency is
always 60Hz.  It shouldn't matter which model you use as long as the
impedance at 60Hz is correct.  For instance a parrallel RL would work
too.

This is a simple model and will not address other issues such as start
up and loss of sync.  To do so would require a much more sophisticated
model that includes the rotor impedance and slip frequency among other
things.  These models typically require a host of measurements on the
motor to construct and probably not worth it in the end.

Regards
Dave Lewis