Re: Arc Welders as Rheostats??

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "torlin by way of Terry Fritz
><twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <torlin-at-ghostmail-dot-net>

> Here's a silly question, why would one want to cut up a
> variac?

	The suggestion was to _slot_ the core, rather than 'cut it up'
	into two (or more) pieces.

	As noted, this will install an air gap, which will make
	it unsaturatable.  It will ALSO reduce the inductance (check
	the maths for the influence of an air gap on the magnetic
	circuit), so the net impedance will go down.

	best
	dwp
  I seem to have missed this tangent of my original