RE: Mutual Inductance & K Factor

Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>

Kurt -

Thank you for the graphs. Unfortunately my computer did not print them
clearly enough to read them. However, I did see that the K Factors leveled
off flat with no gradual rise. Not sure what that means. Thank you, also,
for the info you sent me on your coil in the past. I finally found it on my
computer. Your information has helped me very much in the past.

In Bart's graphs I noticed the K Factors are marked "measured". Does that
mean you used the frequency test for the K? I have used this test and found
it to be better than the inductance test for K.

I agree the Mandk and Acmi tests are at present probably more accurate than
the JHCTES for the K Factor. However, much more test data is required to
determine the true accuracy of the programs. The JHCTES can be easily
changed to agree with new test data.

The JHCTES type programs have one very important feature that the Mandk and
Acmi programs do not have. When the Primary capacitor or Secondary top load
is changed the mutual inductance changes but the K Factor does not change.
The Mandk and Acmi programs can not show this because they do not use and
coordinate enough TC parameters. This unique K Factor behavior was not known
by coilers until I posted this information a couple years ago on the List.
Even today you need the JHCTES or Java programs to check this out. Only an
advanced coiler can explain this interesting fact about Tesla coils.

John Couture