Re: Rotary spark gaps

In a message dated 3/25/02 12:20:14 AM Eastern Standard Time,
tesla-at-pupman-dot-com writes:

Kevin,

I think the faster motor with higher bps will be much better in many
ways;  better cooling and quenching, less danger of refiring, more
space between spinning electrodes, less chance of arc-trailing,
more bps range, better options for low bps, etc.  Balancing is not
a problem and is easily done with some care and patience, and
can always be optimized at the end.

Brass has the unfortunate characteristic of burning away quickly,
but I guess if the bolts are large enough, it's OK.  Acorn nuts
make good spinning electrodes.  I often use steel bolts or nuts.
Copper is good but harder to find.  Tungsten lasts the longest of
course.  Folks use copper, brass, or steel up to 25kVA with
good results.

Cheers,
John