current transformers

Original poster: "Mr Gregory Peters by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <s371034-at-student.uq.edu.au>

Current transformers are simply small toroidal transformers that lack a
primary winding. You run a high current wire through the core, and
depending on the stepdown ratio, number of turns you wind, etc, the
high current will be reduced to a lower current (typically 5 volts)
that is much more easily read by a cheap ammeter. This provides two
advantages, firstly, you can get big current transformers and small
ammeters much more cheaply than you can get a single big ammeter.
Secondly, you are kept a further distance from any nasty HV or HC lines.
You really don't need anything special for TC work. I use an 80:5 ratio
CT that I bought new from RS for about $15 US. I run my feed line
through it once. This means that when my coil is drawing 80A, 5A will
be going through the CT and ammeter. One thing you have to do is make
sure the scale on the ammeter matches your CT and number of turns. My
ammeter will show FSD (full scale deflection) when 5 amps is going
through it. I bought an 80A scale for the meter, so now when the coil
pulls 80A, the meter will indicate this. If I used, say, a 120:5 CT,
there is no turns ratio that will produce 5A through the secondary with
80A through the feed line (1 turn= 120A for FSD, 2 turns = 60A for FSD,
3 turns = 40A for FSD). This means that I would have needed a scale
that shows either 120, 60 or 40A at FSD. However, I intend to draw a
maximum of 80A. So 40A and 60A scales are too small, and a 120A scale
is just wasting meter space.

Hope this helps,
Greg Peters
Department of Earth Sciences,