Re: 2 questions: SRSG & LTR Caps

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Mddeming-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 3/19/02 10:30:05 AM Eastern Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Matt,
>
> You may need to use about a 60uF cap or so.  The key is to
> measure the voltage across the motor, while rotating the variac
> knob.  The voltage should rise about 3 to 5 volts over line voltage
> at some point along the variac range.  Also, the motor should
> remain locked for the full variac range or close to it.  Only
> trial and error will determine the correct cap size.
>
> Cheers,
> John

Thanks John,
         I needed that order of magnitude clue as I did not know if 15uF was
too large or too small for 1/7 hp. Since I have a box of 15uFs I can stack and
rack in series and parallel, until I hit the right combo.

Matt D.
G3-1085