Multiturn Primary Arc Gap/10 fold deviance explained

Original poster: "harvey norris by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <harvich-at-yahoo-dot-com>

Hi Terry and all on list.

In posting the observation that placing comparison of
(AC)marx gap discharges compared to shunted tesla tank
discharges, I have now deciphered the reasoning for
the fact, that in both cases the observed frequency is
far higher than would be predicted by standard
resonant formula reasoning.

This is because the L quantity is massive at 11 mh and
consists of the illogical candidate of a 500 ft of
hardware store coil 14 gauge wire on a plastic spool.
In contrast the C quantity is very low at 2 nf.

This is in direct contrast to the typical arrangement
where L is low and C is high in comparison (to amounts
of reactance). In that arrangement the final resonant
frequency may be well predicted.

So here at first it becomes puzzling to try and
understand why given a large L value and a small C in
comparison, the resonant frequency by the combination
should be very low, but it is not ( by scopings)

Fortunately I have remembered from the beginning that
the coils used for the testing themselves have a
(~)natural resonant frequency of 160,000 hz with no
capacity attached. This is the effect of multiturn
capacity of that 14 gauge insulated wire wound on the
spool. So now 2 nf is attached in stardard tank and by
formula by 11mh we should expect a very low freq about
34 khz. {Discounting the C(int)}

Howewever as noted the freequencies I have seen are
about ten times that value. But the case to be made
here is that the natural resonant frequency of the
coils by more massive internal capacitance
considerations has already reduced the quarter
wavelength value three fold to that 160,000 hz, by
that length of 500 ft of wire.

Thus it is hard to imagine that adding capacity could
actually increase that vibration, where the usual
effect is to slow that  vibration.
However if the vibration is already hindered
internally, the addition of capacity might show a kind
of different effect.

By adding twice the capacity to the tank to make 4 nf,
one should suspect a 50 % reduction in frequency but
this does not occur. It may be reduced ~66% but what
becomes shown in the scopings is that the high amount
of internal (higher harmonic vibration within the
signal) becomes significantly reduced. By this method
it seems sensible that capacity can be added until the
vibration resembles better a pure sinusoidal.

I will be posting these tank scopings of differences
of 2 nf and 4 nf with 11 mh when the teslafy yahoo
site gets back online, so that urls can be given for
the scopings.

I was wondering if this kind of off topic research can
be posted as jpegs to tesla list , as many members
seem to post their own TC files to pupman. Can Terry
comment on the procedure for posting jpegs?

Sincerely HDN