Re: A few Q's

Original poster: "by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <Esondrmn-at-aol-dot-com>

In a message dated 3/13/02 7:20:00 AM Pacific Standard Time, tesla-at-pupman-dot-com
writes:

> Hi,
> I am using a ground rod in the yard.
> What I am doing with the cyl head is using it as a junction box per se.
> The leads coming off the secondary, safety gap, NST and Variac I wanted
> to keep short to I connected them all to the cyl head laying on the
> floor a few feet away. Then I will bolt one long lead from the cyl head,
> out to the yard where it will attach to the ground rod.
> I glass beaded (like mild sandblasting) the entire head to it is
> scale/oxidation free but it is dull in appearance.
> Is this set up ok? Should I put the head on a piece of wood or plexi so
> it is not right on the same floor that I am standing perhaps? It is a
> cement floor and not dirt or wood so I figured I would be ok.
>
> One other thing I wanted to ask. My secondary is just sitting there in
> the middle of my primary. Does this need to be attached somehow so it
> wont tip over or is just standing up ok? It does not seem to "tippy" but
> I didn't know if during operation it could get knocked over somehow.
>
> Jim

Jim,

I would suggest connecting your variac case to your 60 HZ ground, not the coil
secondary RF ground.  I always have the secondary bolted down.  I usually cut a
plastic piece about two or three inches thick that just fits inside the
secondary coil form.  Then I glue this to a round flat plastic disc, maybe 1/4"
to 3/8" thick, that is about 2" larger in diameter than the outside of the
secondary coil form.  Then I use plastic screws and bolt it to the base,
drilling three holes through the flat disc.  I also have some spacers cut that
I can install between the mounting disc and the base to adjust the height of
the secondary with respect to the primary for coupling adjustment.

Ed Sonderman