Re: hydrogen? spark gap

Original poster: "Kristian Ukkonen by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <kristian.ukkonen-at-iki.fi>

Tesla list wrote:
> Original poster: "Michael H Nolley by way of Terry Fritz
<twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>" <nolleym-at-willamette.edu>
> >         Main problem with hydrogen, other than explosive air-fuel mixes, is
> > that it burns with a colorless flame and it's easy to get burned if
> > there's a hydrogen burner running.  As for passing through steel, that's
> > just plain incorrect.
>     Hydrogen is useful as a quenching medium in spark gaps.
>     It's been discussed before that hydrogen is less of a hazard
> than other flammable gases since it doesn't have the energy density which
> carbon atoms confer

Considering that the amount of hydrogen is minimal in such gap,
the danger from possible burning of leaking H2 is quite little.
Besides, one should leak-test the design anyway before using it;
easy by pressurizing the gap and seeing if pressure goes down.

More danger comes from designing the pressure vessel for the gap,
and possible later failure of the design. After all, one does want
a few bars of pressure in the gap, and one must consider the energy
in compressed gas.

>     There doesn't seem to be enough benefit from running hydrogen gaps
> that it is worth passing up on the fly adjustability air flow control--etc.
> etc.

There are articles about triggered hydrogen gaps running at multi kHz
with significant energies passed.. They are certainly worth it.

Then again, corona stabilized gaps could be alternative with
similar repetition frequencies achievable.

Plenty of articles available at IEEE publications etc. about
both gap designs. No need to re-invent the wheel..

>     I'm not exactly sure how you'd go about acquiring some hydrogen, or
> introducing hydrogen
> into the chamber.  Hydrogen is difficult to get ahold of except in large
> tanks, or by
> electrolysis.

One can buy hydrogen from local gas supplier. Just rent a tank
like any other gas.

Of course, you need your own regulator.

> The gas ports and various equipment would also be a bit of
> trouble.

Ordinary Swagelok/Nupro etc. parts will work fine. No problem
at all. Valves, safety valves, burst disk holders, pressure
meters etc. are readily available.

  Kristian Ukkonen.