Re: test equipment

Hi Harvey,

The new "digital phosphor" scopes like the Tek 3000 series, and now
Agilent, show multiple trace paths in dimmer and dimmer colors on the scope
screen.  They try very hard to mimic the persistence of a analog scope and
they really do it very well.  Here is a nice sales blurb from Tek:

http://www.techni-tool-dot-com/CustImage/3GW_12482_5.pdf

Here are selected parts of it.  This shows how it handles multiple sweeps
like in your example.  It really looks better on the real scope:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/Image2.jpg

Of course, they are all computerized so they can do fancy stuff:

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/Image3.jpg

Here it is picking out video lines for analysis,  Older scopes don't do
this stuff :-))

http://hot-streamer-dot-com/temp/Image1.jpg

Thus is why everyone is selling off their older scope dirt cheap to get
these new super powerful ones...

A long standing complaint of digital scopes was that they only show a
single trace path and loose the previous trace information unlike analog
display tube scopes.  Thus, Tektronix went to a lot of trouble to add
analog scope like persistence to digital scopes using a ton of digital
processing.  This allows a lightweight computerized digital scope to have
persistence in the screen.  Of course, once designed, a speck of silicon is
a whole lot cheaper than a precision vacuum tube.  It really works very
well.  Unfortunately, the digital scopes you find on E-bay are all the
older ones that show just a single line.  The newer scopes like the 3000
series are almost impossible to find used.  I saw one slightly used one go
on E-Bay for more than the brand new price =:O

Cheers,

	Terry