Re: death of a pancake

Marc: You have my respect and sympathy, having made a bobo or two in the
past my self. May I suggest a slightly different approach. The laquer you
are using is a solvent base material which softens when ever heated or
solvent is added, ie each new coat. You were sucessful with one coat. That
is good. Now change to a non solvent base like fiberglass resin or epoxi.
Each coat will cost another paint brush so buy several. Epoxi is expensive
so I recoment fiber glass resin. mix it in paper cups not plastic and do not
add more hardner than recomended or you will not have enough time to work
each coat and will waste resin. Walmart sell it at 12$/can. After you have
about 3 layers you can pull the coil free and coat the bottem. Let it harden
over night before you turn it over. Each coat will take about one hour to
get fairly hard, but it will not be full hard till the next day. After that
you can sand it or finish it any way you want. I just coat it and leave it.
 If you want stand off legs you can cast them in wax or polyethylene.
re-enforce them  with cotton and bond them in place with your last coat on
the base. I use hard wood powder from a cabnet shop sander to re-enforce
resin. That is tough as steel and can be turned on a lathe like steel, but
not every one is near a cabnet shop. NO not saw dust it is not fine enough.
  Robert  H