Re: JavaTC Major Update version 9.0

Hi John -

Tesla list wrote:

> Original poster: "John H. Couture by way of Terry Fritz <twftesla-at-qwest-dot-net>"
> <couturejh-at-mgte-dot-com>
>
> Bart -
>
> I didn't get the email and please forgive my posting 4 inches Pri/Sec
> distance. It should be 4 inches Sec above Pri. In your example below with
> the 500 turn coil if you use a value of 4 inches or more for the Sec above
> the Pri you will find that the K factor is a negative value with the toroid.

Ok, now I understand it's a height adjustment. And you are correct, it hit a
negative value. This occurred because it went below 0 and should "not" have.
Thank you so much for pointing this out. My height adjustment isn't working
correctly and I think I know why. Cool, if I can see it, I can fix it. I'll
start working on that. For your information, here's Acmi's output for this
geometry: Your values in calc'd by JHCTES were near.

    SCNY.L| SCNY.R|    PRMY.L| PRMY.R|SCNY-PRMY.M|SCNY-PRMY.K
  16.05 mH|  20.38|  17.00 uH|   0.00|   41.64 uH|     0.0797

> Without the toroid the value is positive. Why would the toroid make this
> difference?

Inductances affect K and frequency affects inductances "only" because we are
changing coil dimensions. There will always be mutual inductance as long as
there are two inductors in measurable proximities to oneanother and mutual
inductance can only go to 0 (the height expression AND where I'm using it is
the cause and why it went below). Because coupling is a ratio, it must remain
between 0 and 1.

Thanks for pointing out this problem. I will start working on this immediately.

Take care John,
Bart

> The same problem occurs whenever your program is dealing with TC
> designs that have low value K factors. You may want to check the Acmi
> program also. The JHCTES program will give K values down to zero but not
> negative values which is the way it should be.
>
> I believe the K factors of present TC programs will be speculative until
> much more testing is done. After the testing the necessary adjustments to
> the programs can then be made so the programs will agree with the real

msnip...